- What are the major disorders for which Rivotril/Clonazepam may be Used?
- How Rivotril works?
- Is any prescription required to get Rivotril?
- Dosage of Rivotril?
- What is the minimum duration for which Rivotril should be taken?
- Are there any side effects of Rivotril?
- Under what circumstances should Rivotril not be used?
- Under which storage conditions Rivotril should be kept?
- Major Drug (Rivotril and other Anticonvulsant or Antiepileptic) Manufacturers
- Similar Drugs
- From where can one get Rivotril?
Rivotril, a Drug consisting of Clonazepam compound, is an anticonvulsant or an antiepileptic drug and Rivotril/Clonazepam is basically used for the treatment of Epilepsy, which is caused due to some electric disturbances in the brain. Rivotril/Clonazepam is being manufactured by Roche Laboratories and comes in 0.5mg and 2mg tablets.
Rivotril/Clonazepam is commonly used for the treatment of Epilepsy. Epilepsy is described as a disturbance in the electrochemical activity of the discharging cells of the brain produced by a variety of neurological disorders.
In Epilepsy the problem occurs in the central nervous system, specifically the brain. As everyone knows that brain works by sending electric signals, which control our body. The Brain controls each and every expression of body. Be it thought, emotion, impression, memory, and movement, etc. The Nerves act as the transmitting or communication lines from brain to other body parts and vice-versa.
This is a normal functioning, but the problem arises when there is an imbalance in the transmission of these signals. The body losses control at that time and the person may perform any kind of action that is unwanted and uncontrollable. This is termed as Seizure or fit. Seizures may of different kinds and depending upon the kind the medicine may be prescribed. They are basically characterized into two kinds i.e. primary generalized seizures and partial seizures. These two differ in only one point, and that is the point of origin of the seizure. This means that the area of brain from where it has started characterizes the kind of Seizure.
Primary generalized seizures: In these types of seizures, both parts of brain are involved collectively. Hereditary factors are important in many of these seizures.
Partial seizures: This is limited to only one part of brain and the problem in signals starts from a particular area of brain. Some are related to head injury, brain infection, stroke, or tumor, but in most cases the cause is unknown.
This problem may occur to any person belonging to any race, any sex, any age, etc. But, it is most commonly seen in males. And generally the problem arises at the child hood age itself.
There are number of medicines available for the treatment of Epilepsy, and Rivotril/Clonazepam is one of them. However, whether it can be cured or not can only be identified by a neurologist. If the problem has worsened, then the chances of its getting cured are very less. But, if identified at a proper stage, the frequency of seizures can definitely be reduced.
Rivotril/Clonazepam works by increasing the amount of the brain chemical called GABA. It has been found out that the epileptic seizures are a result of low levels of this chemical in the brain. By increasing the amount of GABA, Rivotril/Clonazepam helps in the reduction of the chances of an epileptic seizure. Rivotril/Clonazepam is an irreversible inhibitor of gamma- aminobutyric acid transaminase (GABA-T), the enzyme responsible for the catabolism of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain.
The mechanism of action of Rivotril/Clonazepam is attributed to irreversible enzyme inhibition of GABA-T, and consequent increased levels of the inhibitory neurotransmitter, GABA. The duration of effect of Rivotril/Clonazepam is dependent on the rate of GABA-T resynthesis rather than on the plasma concentration of Clonazepam.
Rivotril/Clonazepam should not be used without the consent of a doctor. Since the problem of epilepsy is a very serious and major problem, so a doctor, on the basis of the intensity and type of seizure, can only identify the suitability of a particular drug for an individual. As such Rivotril/Clonazepam has been found very useful in Epilepsy, but it strictly advisable to consult a doctor, specializing in this filed.
At the start it is recommended to take 1.5mg of Rivotril distributed three times in a day. And the dosage of Rivotril/Clonazepam may be increased in adults depending upon a person's need. The dose in children is based on body weight and will be determined by the doctor. However, the dosage depends from individual to individual and can be identified by a medical practitioner of this field.
As per the research done on this uptill now, there is no specific time period identified for the duration of Rivotril use. The duration of Rivotril intake may vary from individual to individual, depending upon the mental health. The intake of Rivotril/Clonazepam should not be stopped without the advice of a Medical Practitioner.
- Damage to retina
- Rashes on the skin
- Confused state of mind
- Lack of concentration
- Problem with speech
- Blood problems
- Change in sleeping pattern
Note: The intensity of the above may vary from person to person.
- If a person has a family history of some disorder of brain, the doctor must be informed of the same, before the intake of Rivotril/Clonazepam.
- Rivotril/Clonazepam may cause problem to lady who is pregnant or is breast feeding.
- If a person has allergy with Rivotril/Clonazepam or any specific drug.
- If a person has or had a liver problem, Rivotril/Clonazepam may not be advisable.
- Persons with Diabetes must take Rivotril/Clonazepam under doctor's guidance.
- Rivotril/Clonazepam is not recommended for seizures due to hypoglycemic or other metabolic causes. Appropriate diagnostic procedures should be performed.
- Rivotril/Clonazepam may not be advisable if a person has to undergo a surgery.
- If a person is taking Rivotril, any other drug or some alcoholic beverages should be taken with the consent of a doctor.
Rivotril/Clonazepam should be stored at room temperature and the place where it is kept should not have excessive moisture and temperature. However, Rivotril/Clonazepam should be kept in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Also, as per the general indications for any medicine, Rivotril should also be thrown away if it is outdated.
- Clonazepam (Roche)
- Convulex (Pharmacia)
- Epanutin capsules (Pfizer)
- Epilim (Sanofi-Synthelabo)
- Fosphenytoin (Parke-Davis)
- Frisium (Hoechst Marion Roussel)
- Lamictal (GlaxoSmithKline)
- Lamotrigine (GlaxoSmithKline)
- Mysoline (AstraZeneca)
- Neurontin (Parke-Davis)
- Oxcarbazepine (Novartis)
- Primidone (AstraZeneca)
- Tegretol (Novartis)
- Topamax (Janssen-Cilag)
- Trileptal (Novartis)
- Zarontin (Parke-Davis)
Anyone can buy Rivotril from Online Pharmacy, which is available at a discounted price, 50% off, and the best way to get Rivotril is by logging on to http://www.abconlinepharmacy.com for online orders. This pharmacy provides you with drugs at cheap and affordable prices. One can order the medicine and pay through VISA, MasterCard or international money order.